Programme Assistant (International IDEA)
Opportunity type: Employment
About International IDEA
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance is an intergovernmental organization that works to support and strengthen democratic institutions and processes around the world, to develop sustainable, effective and legitimate democracies.
Headquarters location: Stockholm, Sweden
International IDEA is managing a three-year EU funded programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building on the transition process; strengthen stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhance stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform that will facilitate credible electoral processes; and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
Based in Khartoum, Sudan, International IDEA seeks to appoint:
X2 PROGRAMME ASSISTANTS
The Programme Assistant, supports the planning and implementation of the Sudan programme, by providing programme, administrative and logistic support.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Supporting the planning and implementation of the Sudan programme by providing programme and administrative support; Assists with the preparation of workplans, reports, budgets, travel authorizations/claims, and contracts
- Supporting the implementation of the programme communication and visibility plan by contributing to knowledge production including drafting news articles, programme updates and information briefs
- In coordination with the programme team, compiling, summarizing and preparing background materials to assist in the preparation of project reports (narrative), internal and external communication in Arabic and English, informative notes, and translations for the programme’s activities
- Developing and maintaining a database of key actors and stakeholders in Sudan
- Assisting in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the programme’s projects
- Managing the scheduling of assigned project activities and develops and maintains a filing system for assigned programme component documents
- Taking notes in internal and external meetings in both English and Arabic
- Organizing and coordinating logistical arrangements for meetings, conferences and workshops (obtaining quotes and booking venues, liaising with attendees, organizing travel, etc.). Assists with the preparation of meeting materials
The Programme Assistant must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- Approximately three (3) years’ experience working in a similar role;
- High school diploma and preferably business and/or secretarial education; University background is considered an advantage
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage
- Integrates the results-based approach into his/her activities
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects solutions from established options
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset
This is a fixed term appointment until 31 December 2022
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sudan.
Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.