Toyota Logistic Design Competition 2020
Deadline to submit your entry is 22 October, 2019
Toyota Material Handling Design Center
Logistics is a huge and growing global business, where the challenge is finding the best way of moving things, at the lowest cost to businesses and the environment. The requirements vary from one business area to the next. What will work for the medical field may not be appropriate for the car industry nor for airports, for instance. The needs for specialised solutions keep growing.
The Toyota Material Design Center is built around a team of dedicated professionals, who have the creative wherewithal to come up with the right designs for the right business areas. These designs are obviously not only about aesthetics, but are firmly rooted in function. The products and services we deliver must do the job. All the time, every time. But they also have to look right, and be right for the user. All our work pays tribute to Toyota’s core values – safety, durability, productivity, driveability, and simplicity. Our survival and success in the logistics industry demands we find the most talented, the most forward-thinking designers in the business. That’s why we launched the Toyota Logistic Design Competition (TLDC) back in 2014. Now it’s time for the 2020 challenge: Baggage handling at airports.
Baggage handling at airports could do with a proper makeover. This is the theme of our fourth design competition, and it’s open to design students and graduates from all over the world. So, if you feel that improving the current systems is your bag, so to speak, we want you to enter this challenge.
You either get to grips with the whole concept of dealing with bags. (Big task.) Or you might want to zero in on a particular aspect of baggage handling. (No small task, either.)
We firmly believe the whole world’s waiting for turgid and flawed baggage handling to go away forever. So, to all of you 2019 design students and graduates, here’s your golden opportunity.
We want you to come up with a solution – or several solutions – that will iron out the wrinkles in this business. Don’t try to second-guess what we’re after. Instead, do exactly what you like! Those of you who are lucky will be handsomely rewarded with a cash prize.
Who is eligible to compete in the Toyota Logistic Design Competition 2020?
The competition is open to university design students and recent graduates (2019), from all over the world. Only participants who belong to an undergraduate or graduate university programme are eligible to compete. Although the competition is focused on industrial design, product design and transportation design, students with a background in business, fashion, engineering, architecture etc. are also welcome to submit their work
Prizes & Jury
Three winning entries will be generously rewarded with cash prizes.
– First prize €5,000
– Second prize €3,000
– Third prize €2,000
The award will be given provided the winning submission is of sufficient quality and meets basic eligibility criteria.
Finalists will be invited to the prize ceremony in Sweden, and later their work will be exhibited at a fair in Hannover, Germany held on 20–24 April, 2020.
Additionally, all winners will have the opportunity to apply for a six-month paid internship at a Toyota Material Handling Design Center.
Note: All cash prize awards are paid gross/before income tax.
No prize alternatives or cash equivalents are offered. Prizes are non-transferable. The winner is solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to the acceptance of the prize(s).
Jury sessions 2017-2018 in Sweden
Submit your entry
Welcome to the Toyota Logistic Design Competition 2020!
We want you to revolutionise the way baggage is handled at airports. Because it does leave quite a bit to be desired, we think. So, therefore, this year’s theme is: “Baggage handling. Can you make it fly?” This is your golden opportunity to show what you can do for airports and their customers’ bags – and win quite a nice cash prize, too!
Submissions should consist of the following:
- Concept title.
- A short description of the concept (max 150 words in English).
- A presentation of the concept in A3 landscape format, pdf (max 4 pages including cover page).
- Single image that represents your concept, screen resolution and in JPG format (keep image clean, no text).
As a finalist you will also be able to submit optional documents of your concept in 3D as well as animations, video files etc.
Your file submission for the concept description should comply with the following rules:
- Surprise our judges with a visual concept that demonstrates quality and clarity throughout your design. Make sure you incorporate the Toyota heritage and its core product values to meet the judging criteria. The concept should also be innovative and environment-friendly.
- The submission should consist of a single revolutionary design concept for baggage handling at an airport, including sketches in PDF format.
- The work should be presented in A3 landscape layout and include a detailed description of the concept in English.
- Only one entry per participant/team is accepted. Each participant/team can register only once.
- Submissions must be the applicant’s own creation, must not be in production and must not have been previously published or exhibited.
- For team entries, members must nominate a leader and contact person. The team leader is responsible for sharing the prize.